Cauliflower and Broccoli Melt
We recently started researching what we could make using cassava flour instead of wheat and had a job to find anything savoury and simple for dinner. So I adapted a recipe I found online in order to create a really delicious cauliflower cheese. I also added broccoli as my kids and husband go mad for it! It honestly feels like a cheat-day-meal but it’s actually not breaking any of the rules! If you like cheese, broccoli, cauliflower…and more cheese, its a perfect option for a filling, one-pot meal.
You will need:
- 1 Cauliflower
- 1 Broccoli (Opt for Organic as you can really taste the difference!)
- 30g of ghee (clarified butter).
- 30g of cassava flour.
- 300 ml of milk.
- 1 tsp mixed spice or nutmeg.
- 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1 tsp English mustard.
- 200g of grated Applewood smoked coconut cheese. (The type of cheese you use is totally up you, we just LOVE coconut cheese!
- 100g soft cheese (again, we use coconut cheese, but any dairy cheese will work perfectly)
- 2 tablespoons of parmesan.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower with boiling water for 5-6 minutes.
- Whilst the veg is cooking add the ghee to a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and add cassava flour until the consistency of pancake mix.
- Start adding the milk to the ghee and flour and make sure to keep stirring throughout.
- Once the consistency is smooth, reduce the heat to low and add mustard, pepper, salt and spices. Continue to stir.
- After 2 minutes, turn the heat off and add 3/4 of the grated cheese whilst, again stirring to avoid any lumps or burning.
- Finally add the soft cheese and give the mixture a final stir.
- Add the steamed vegetables to a large oven dish and coat it in the mixture.
- Top with the last 1/4 grated cheese and the parmesan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy! And as always, let us know how you get on!