This extremely simple breakfast is how Niall and I start the day every morning. It’s so quick and simple to make, super easy (no cooking required), healthy and keeps us going until lunchtime. Plus is tastes AMAZING!
These are the ingredients we use for flavour and health benefits but feel free to be as inventive as you like! We don’t have set measurements for any of these ingredients, but fill about a cup per person.
- Coconut Yoghurt: We use The Coconut Collaborative as a yummy dairy-free option which is also naturally low in sugars. It is full of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat to keep us going until lunch including a special type of fat called lauric acid; this converts to monolaurin which is found in breastmilk and is ‘like superfuel for your cells, your metabolism, your bones and your brain’ (Mark Hyman, Eat Fat, Get Thin). It also contains Non-dairy cultures (S.thermophilus + L.bulgaricus. Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis). *from fruit.
- Bee Pollen: We use True Natural Goodness as it is naturally high fibre and contains protein. It provides a wide spectrum of nutrients (such as vitamin C, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Magnesium and Calcium) and antioxidants and is referred to as a superfood. It is even used as a medicine in certain countries and an alternative medicine in others.
- Honey: We use Hilltop ‘British Blossom’ Raw Honey for it’s natural enzymes, it’s vitamins (B2, B3, B5, B6 & C), it’s minerals (Magnesium, Potassuium, Zinc & Iron), and of course not forgetting it’s great taste! **Remember to go without if you are on a keto diet**
- Cacao Powder: We use Just Natural Organics as it is high in Magnesium and gives a lovely contrast to the plain yoghurt!
- Green Bananas: Unripened bananas are a resistant starch (prebiotic) and low in sugar. They also give a lovely dimension to the yoghurt, adding texture and flavour.
- Pecan Nuts: These are high in monosaturated fats benefitting your heart and cardiovascular system. They improve your cholesterol, reduce the risk of breast cancer, diabestes and arthritis. They also promote weight loss and reduce belly fat!
- 2 Brazil Nuts: To finish off, we like to add 2 Brazil nuts to the mix as they are higher in protein and contain the highest source of selenium which is beneficial for our immunity. In fact, it is currently being researched with regard to COVID-19 and how it could strengthen our immune system and fight virus.
So there you go! Try it for yourself and give us your feedback in the comments below!